Impatience has been around for a long time. There is nothing new about people losing their patience while stuck in traffic or waiting in line. People just do not slow down to enjoy the moment. Some people believe that email will soon be obsolete. They prefer instant messaging which has with prompt responses, to email writing protocol which requires you to write the subject and some polite greetings. They also prefer airtime top-up from M-pesa to scratch. They say there is no time to scratch and top-up!
While we embrace technology and the fact that it really makes work easier, we must also note that patience is a virtue and lack of it can be harmful.
- Impatience is linked to frustration, irritation, and even anger. Such emotions can raise our stress levels and in turn can harm our health. A study has shown that impatience is a risk factor for hypertension and obesity!
- Impatient people are good procrastinators. Could be they are not patient enough to do the time-consuming tasks and bring them to completion. “A habitual procrastinator gets a load of uncompleted tasks and overloads of empty yesterdays.” –Benson Kiragu.
- A study at Cardiff University shows that impatient people were more likely to drink alcohol heavily and are prone to violence. However, this is does not have to happen always. All we need is to develop patience.
- Impatient people are found to make quick and shallow decisions. Such decisions can cost you your relationships, money, pain and suffering or any other consequences. Impatience is always followed by bad decisions because of the overwhelming desire for instance gratification.
- Impatience can sometime lead to debts. Impatient people will want to acquire all they desire despite limited finances. Such an action can lead to an unhappy life.
- Impatience can damage our ability to communicate. When a person does not have the patience to engage in a meaningful conversation, he tends to speak without thinking. He may also get annoyed when others speak. Such a person does not have the patience to wait for others to get to the point of what they are saying. So the impatient listener may tend to rush others into finishing their sentences by putting words in their mouth or may try to find some other way to hurry the conversation. Such impatience can result in the loss of friendship.
Follow the links below to learn valuable materials from the author; Benson Kiragu.
Patience is a matter of control. And as someone who likes to be in control, as do most executives with whom I work, control may open the window to developing greater levels of patience.
Patience serves as protection against wrongs as clothes do against cold. For if you put on more clothes as the cold increases, it will have no power to hurt you. So in like manner you must grow in patience when you meet with great wrongs and they will then be powerless to vex your mind.
When we are impatient, we are neither reverential nor reflective because we are too self-centered. Whereas faith and patience are companions, so are selfishness and impatience. It is so easy to be confrontive without being informative; so easy to be annoyed without being intelligent; so easy to be impulsive without being insightful. It is so easy to command others when we are not in control of ourselves.
How then do we cultivate patience. Click here to read more…
TO ADVERTISE IN THIS BLOG, CALL +254721379758 OR EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gold and Green Mentorship and Training was established in 2009 with an objective to inspire and motivatepeople all over the world. Our main aim is to help people cultivate and maintain a positive attitude towards life and towards work and help them live their lives in full, everyday.
We offer Motivational Talks, Training, Mentorship and Coaching sessions for schools and companies through team-building activities, forums and fun-camps. G&G believes that everybody needs to develop optimism and confidence in order to handle the life’s challenges (deal with life’s changes) more effectively. We also believe that everyone is designed for success and this can only be achieved when our thinking is right and our ambitions focused.